We often struck into a situation where we need to troubleshoot our corrupted PC/laptop and for this purpose a bootable flash drive or OS flashable bootable CD is must. Fed up of carrying bootable flash drives and CD’s with you? Or you prefer to carry your very own Linux distribution with you just in case you get hands on to a completely new OS. Now vanish all your worries of carrying CD’s and flash drives as you are already carrying a powerhouse with you – Your very own Android device.
With DriveDroid app for Android, now you can boot your PC from ISO/IMG files stored on your phone. DriveDroid is ideal for trying Linux distributions or always having a rescue-system on the go with you. Moreover, DriveDroid also includes a convenient download menu where you can download USB-images of a number of operating systems from your phone.
*Before you begin, you need :
- A Rooted Android device running 2.2 or higher version.
- DriveDroid app on your device (PlayStore link).
- Plenty of space on your device’s SD card to store .iso file.
- USB Mass Storage (UMS) mode should be enabled on your Android. For this, set the USB-mode to ‘Mass Storage’ though DriveDroids preferences.
*How to boot iso file from your Android device :
- Done with installing DriveDroid app on your Android? If yes, connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
- Now, download an image file (.iso or .img) or create one.
- Select the image file in DriveDroid to let your phone ‘host’ the file over USB or select from already provided Linux distribution (requires download).
- Restart your PC/laptop and make sure the correct boot priority(i.e. boot to USB devices) is set in the bios.
- Booting process should get start apparently.
Please remember that all ISO files will not work. Most phones emulate a USB-drive and not a CD-drive, so you are required to use ISOs that are compatible with USB-drives. Most modern Linux-ISOs are supported as well as all distributions from DriveDroids downloadlist.
DriveDroid is one of the most handy app that I have ever encountered on Play Store. Moreover, for some users, it will change the definition of carrying a phone with them. Do let us know your reaction about this amazing app. Don’t forget to thanks the developer for his amazing work. Head here (developer’s website) to get some tip of how to get windows running using DriveDroid.