After a flop show of Google TV, Couple of weeks ago Google launched it’s amazing media streaming device named as Chromecast. For starters, Chromecast is a $35 HDMI dongle that attempts to put the web on TV and has all capabilities to competes with Apple’s AirPlay system. Basically, Chromecast can cast YouTube and Netflix services on your phone, tablet, or computer to your TV. Moreover, You can also send whole lot of tabs from the Chrome browser on Macs and PCs to your TV. A promising device for cost of just $35. Isn’t it amazing!
Eager to own this device? Probably you have to wait for long enough as either it’s not available in your country or Google has tagged it “Out of stock”. Heartbreaking? Surely Yes. Now, just sit back and relax as active developers are smart enough to put a smile on your face. Developers are here with an app- CheapCast that lets you to emulate the ChromeCast Dongle. It allows your Android Device to act as target (1st Screen) for ChromeCast-enabled Applications (like YouTube, Google Music). For proper understanding of concept, have a look at the video:
You might be thinking, Why to stream media from one device to other as we can certainly stream on our first device directly. Isn’t it? Obvious reasons for this are:
- It let you to simultaneously stream same content on both of your devices without any delay. Seems to be a great concept when you are in a mood of jamming and surround sound is required.
- Waiting for Chromecast to be available at Amazon or other web portals? This app will give you a proper idea about your Chromecast dongle as CheapCast completely emulates it.
*Before you begin, you need:
- Two Android devices running version 2.2 and up.
- CheapCast app installed on your device (Play Store link).
- Both the device should be working on same WiFi connection.
CheapCast is in early Beta version. Some (if not all) things might not work correctly. Additionally casting Chrome Tabs is not yet supported, expected to be added in future updates.
CheapCast seems to be a great concept, but it would be great to see it as Chrome extension as this will allow us to cast YouTube, Google Music and Netflix service on our Mac’s and PC’s.
Do let me know your reaction about this amazing app. Facing any problem, leave your problem in comment section provided below, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. If you wish to thanks the developer, head over here.